[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dash, how to make it?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:41:20 -0700

It sounds as though something is in the works that will fix this problem along with a number of others you've mentioned here. So I'm not especially worried about justifying the double hyphen at this point. But in the discussion on the volunteer list earlier, I was hearing things like "imagine that someday something happens" and such, and I certainly wasn't buying that. You have presented something a lot more concrete, and I hope something comes from it. I will, of course, follow the guidelines posted here by Mr. Fruchterman regarding the subject, and hope that when the fix comes in, earlier books will appear more as they should - spaces, double hyphens for m dashes and so on.

As far as the flattening goes, that makes sense, as if I recall correctly, even Megadots back in the '90s could center a chapter heading, leave in blank lines, and other formatting stuff that is not present in the brf files I have looked at on Bookshare. I still remember some of the formatting codes that used to be in the intermediate file before it was actually translated. If I had reflected on it, I might have remembered that sooner, but I haven't used Duxbury, so I didn't know if it was as capable as that or not. I don't know if the version of Megadots I used would preserve all of Lissi's spacing stuff, but on its own, I am confident that the book would much more closely resemble the original than it will going through Bookshare's current processing.

As I pointed out in a private message to Lissi, it is important to remember that when dealing with computers and software, the present is as bad as it will be. Looking at some older books, it can be seen that the Braille translator is already better than it was, so I am sure that it will continue to improve. It will happen more slowly than I, and I am sure many others, would like, growing up in a culture where so many things are available instantly, or nearly so, but I know that it will happen.

Thanks much.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>