[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dash, how to make it?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 16:48:35 -0700

Is this in contrast to two-dimensional books? <smile>

I know I have seen this space m dash space combo somewhere, but I can't recall where. I think it may have been in some books I received directly from an author, but I can't check now, as I fixed all the m dashes with double hyphens. If they occured in some of the books you validated, I don't know where they would have come from if not from the original text. I don't think the scanner would just put spaces around hyphens or m dashes, but who knows? Is there some variability in the way these things are printed? However, it is true that - at least most of the time - these are printed with no space between the m dash and the surrounding words.

Hyphens and m dashes may be hard to tell apart with sight, but my OpenBook seems to be able to recognize the difference. I know because m dashes are displayed peculiarly on my Pac Mate, a regular hyphen followed by the letter t of all things. I forget what the voice says, something with a dot in it. A little strange.