[bksvol-discuss] Re: From List-serve to Discussion Board?

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:14:38 -0600

Hi Marissa,
I like the idea of  putting links off the volunteer page for things like
scanning tips etc. But changing the listserv to a message board is, in my view,
not at all a good idea for the reasons others have already stated.
Message boards are a royal pain in the backside if you use a screen reader, and
just having to go and actively seek out the messages will  ensure that far
fewer people participate on a regular basis.
I would propose that there are two ways to help with the problems which crop up
from time to time. One is to formulate guidelines for volunteers which are as
specific as possible with regard to what they may reject
when validating and what they should do to a document before submitting for
validation. There will always be subjectivity, because peoples' perceptions of
what is readable will differ. But in the area of formatting,
things like page breaks, header retention and regularization etc, I feel you
guys should come up with a set of instructions that volunteers will be expected
to follow when submitting or validating. That should take care
of all the discussions regarding  format-based criteria for rejection.

The other thing you can do is post privately to people whose messages you feel
are in appropriate and, if necessary, limit their participation on the list.
Its better to deal with individuals rather than  make changes which
affect the group as a whole.

Mary