[bksvol-discuss] Re: Format Frustration

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 06:20:38 -0400

I personally wish all the open book users would switch to k1000. I know open book can sometimes create issues. I know this because they appear in the .rtf files scanned with open book. What can I say now I have admitted it? I keep telling the open book users about the upgrade policy offered by Kurzweil in an effort to convince them to switch. I do this on this list and on other tech lists to which I belong. I am with you on this one, Monica.

E.
At 12:56 AM 9/14/2006, you wrote:

Elizabeth, I have seen several books on the step 1 page that are listed as being submitted 1, 2, or even 3 years ago. Since Jake is able to provide a list, I won't post a list of titles that I'd have to check individually. With respect, you do not use Openbook or Wyn, and you probably don't notice each Openbook format title that is submitted and how long it stays there. Grace and I sometimes take these older books and work on them for quite awhile. Sometimes, they prove to be more than we have time or energy to handle. Since there is no way to submit our partial edits, releasing the book is the only option. While the text in the books may be fairly clear, Openbook is famous for inserting random line breaks, odd punctuation marks, and splitting words with unnecessary hyphens. These books do not meet the requirements for being rejected as the text is mostly legible for speech users. For Braille users, they probably wouldn't like the formatting much at all. If there were more validators who had access to Openbook, Grace and I would not be the only ones working on some of these books. The J.A.P. Chronicles is an example of a readable book that nevertheless has needed close attention to fix line breaks and stray characters. If this book were in rtf format, Cindy could probably do a better job with it since she can see the strange line breaks. This is why I think that encouraging people to submit books in a proprietary format like Openbook is a bad idea. Unlike K1000, you cannot re-recognize scans in Openbook files. There is no entrinsic value to ark files because future scanning is not possible since the original image is not retained. Submitting in Ark format should be a last resort, not the encouraged first choice as it has been on the book submission pages. With K1000, it is another ball game with different rules and outcomes.

Monica Willyard