[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:53:14 -0700

At 02:22 PM 6/9/2004 -0500, you wrote:

You're right about buying books and not getting around to reading them. I've got a bunch to scan that fit that category perfectly. <sigh> On the other hand, when I chose to buy the book, I knew in advance that its
quality was perfect. Not so here, even with the ones rated excellent, although there certainly are many very fine quality books on Bookshare. So until it can be demonstrated that all the books are perfect, or as perfect

Hello. Actually, there is a deception going on here with the publishers. Did it ever occur to anyone that some of the junk characters or scanning errors could be that way in the original printed copy? Case in point. One of the reasons why Tolkien published a second edition of _Lord of the Rings_ in 1966 was because the original publisher made tons of typographical errors. The reason for dwarfs and dwarves are because the publisher screwed up basically. That is just one example, but that probably happens more than people realize. Again, if you look at PG and different editions, you will see two things. First, PG publishes updated editions because of their own scanning errors. Second, when you get editions of books from PG based on other paper editions (sorry this is a little vague, but sometimes PG publishes two different electronic forms based on different publisher editions) you will sometimes see changes in wording and errors corrected. That is why publishers issue multiple printings of paper books.