[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:47:08 -0500

Tony,
You raised a lot of points in your post. First, regarding the author who didn't
donate a copy of his book because he saw no others on that topic, its obviously
his right, but that's one darned lame excuse if you ask me.
Books on old time radio aren't exactly jumping off the bookstore shelves or
hitting you in the face on Amazon.com. I might not think to put in the time to
hunt down and scan such a book, but if one were accessible, I'd
probably give it a look.
Regarding magazines and papers, I can understand why there are none on
Bookshare. firstly, they are difficult to scan, because the articles are often
split up and placed over multiple pages. It takes a long time to
piece a magazine together and get things in proper reading order. You might
want to try scanning some yourself, and you'll see what i mean. I had visions
of scanning all sorts of cool magazines that I couldn't get from
the LOC program. But after actually trying it, I gave it up as not worth the
literally hours of time it would take to get it right. If the publishers would
just do away with the ads and put the articles in logical reading order,
well, no problem. <smile>
The other problem is that they go out of date quickly. A mystery magazine such
as the one you mentioned would be an exception. but the more topical
periodicals wouldn't be of much interest a few months or even
weeks after they had been scanned.
I agree about the listings of books in the categories. I'd like to be able to
press enter on the link for a given category and see all the books come up,
newest first.
Mary