[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: "Donna Goodin" <goodindo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:00:34 -0400

Hi all,

  Well, I maybe stepping in a hornet's nest here, but here goes ...

  On an introductory note, my husband is part of a panel that is presenting
a session at the upcoming AHEAD conference next month dealing with blind
access and copyright law.  As you can imagine, there's been lots of hot
debate around our dinner table on this topic lately.  Though we're still a
ways away from a cease fire, *grin* he does raise one point which I think is
an extremely valid one: are blind people entitled to free books?

It seems to me that Tony's message (ans Sam's presentation)  address two
separate issues: first, that of access, and second, that of money.  The
access piece is easy.  Should we have access to every book ever published?
*ABSOLUTELY!*  Should we gain this access without having to spend our
precious time scanning our own books or waste our time duplicating someone
else's scanning effort? *ABSOLUTELY* Does the fact that we are blind/print
disabled entitle us to download 10,000 books for free? I have a harder time
saying yes to that one.  I think we've gotten used to being able to do this
because of the way that Web-Braille and Bookshare work, but I'm not sure
it's right.  We should also remember that the way libraries work for sighted
readers is that you get your book for a couple of weeks, and then you have
to give it back.  In this sense, bookshare is treated like a library but is
effectively a bookstore that someone forgot to lock up when they left for
the night.  No, we can't share these books with nonmembers, but I have to
say that many of my sighted friends would love to be able to go in and clean
out Barnes and Noble's shelves for free, and some could make the case that
they can't afford to buy all the books they want to read.  Why should I be
able to do this if they can't?

Mind you, my heart isn't overflowing with sympathy for the publishers.  They
never cared about our access until we developed the capability to scan
things for ourselves and began sharing our work.  Moreover, I would argue
that, if I go into B&N and plunk down my $10-15, I want the same thing that
a sighted reader gets when they buy a paperback.  This means that 1. the
text is all clean and pretty and properly formatted (which I know means
different things for different people), 2. the text can be converted it to
grade-2 braille (my personal reading preference) or is usable with readers
such as the Victor Reader, and 3.  I want to be able to copy it to other
devices, such as laptops or notetakers so that I can read wherever and
whenever I want.  Right now, such a system does not exist, and until it
does, I think the publishing houses have some work to do and i will support
our need to have groups such as Web-Braille and Bookshare. But I do think
that they are not unreasonable in suggesting that we should pay for books
that we intend to keep as our own, just like everybody else does.

Maybe this is a tangent off the original thread, but Tony's message, and the
question of bookstore/library raised these issues for me.

OK, I'm going into hiding now.  No e-letter bombs please. *grin*

Best,
Donna