[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:18:49 -0500

Hi Donna,
Just one other thing on the topic of the 100 books a month. I don't know about
you. But I know I download books I'll probably never read, and certainly
wouldn't pay for without knowing more about them. first, I might
start reading and discover that the book has too many errors in it, making it a
pain. So I either delete and forget, or delete and if its one I really want,
find a copy and scan for myself.  Second, because of the way
Bookshare is organized, I try to keep current with the new submissions,
downloading any that I see that I think might possibly be of interest to me at
some point, knowing that, if I don't download it from new books, I'll
either have to make a note of its existence for later, or I'll probably forget
about it. I may never read the book. So publishers shouldn't equate download
statistics with book sales lost. Rather, a download is the
equivalent to a sighted person stopping in  a bookstore and rifling through a
book. Maybe they decide to buy and read; maybe they don't.  Or maybe they go to
the public library and borrow the book to read. For the
great majority of books that I have, I would say that I will not read them
again. the fact that I can keep them after reading, rather than returning them
to the library is just a bi-product of the way in which they were made
accessible.
Mary