[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books rated excellent recently added to the collection that are really only good

  • From: eric troup <yakkoman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:20:40 +0100

I have an ignorant question. I'd think using spell checker would be most annoying due to names which appear frequently in the book. Do you have an option to skip that word through the duration of the book? (As you can see, I'm not much of a spell checker. At least, not in terms of using an actual spell checker.)

I check spelling on the fly as wel, but I just do it with me noggin. Nothing against spell checkers themselves, just like to keep the flow of the narrative as much as possible.

On 17 Apr 2008, at 04:50, Grandma Cindy wrote:

My method is slightly different from yours, though
I've thought of doing a spell-check first. However, I
don't. I read the book with the spell-check on--I
don't know if blind people can do that or if it would
be too annoying. I correct as I go, and when I find an
incorrect word that us actually a real word but not
the right one, I do a find and replace for others--not
a global replace, though; I've been caught too many
times having changed things that shouldn't have been
changed and having to go back and correct them and
I've learned my lesson. When I've finished reading the
book, I do a final spell-check, and usually I do find
a few--very few--words that I've missed--and I do a
final page-number check.

I don't validate indices or bibliographies, but I
don't delete them, either. I offer to do them later if
a reader would like me to.

G.Cindy

Hi Judy and Others,

I am always surprised when I download an excellent
book and find that it's
definitely not.  Although these books are
frustrating discoveries, I think
the majority of Excellent books are deserving of
that rating.

Getting a book up to that rating is a joint effort,
though.  Like you, I
appreciate the scanners' comments, explaining the
validation steps that they
followed before submitting the book.  It doesn't
change my approach to
validating, but it informs me of how much time my
validation process is
likely to take.

For what it's worth, I begin by searching for the
number 1, in combinations
such as  1 1' 1. 1? And so forth.

I then search for random characters that typically
don't belong in the book:
caret, accent, tilde, percent, pound, and so on.  By
finding these and
eliminating them, if appropriate, I get an overall
glimpse of how much
validating needs to be done.

Spell-check or not to spell-check:  I then make a
determination on whether
I'll run the spellchecker.  For most novels and
nonfiction, I will; but for
books such as Buddhism in Action, where I'm battling
two spelling problems,
lots of Hindi words and lots of scanographical
errors that resulted in
actual words, I've determined that it isn't worth it
to run spell check.
I'll rely on my full reading of the book to catch
errors.

I then scan for common scanos, such as die for the
and comer for corner.  If
I don't find lots of these, I figure it's a good
sign.

I usually then start reading the book.  Since I'm
going to read straight
through, this is when I check things like whether
all the pages are there,
whether lines are missing, whether certain text is
garbled, etc.

I've found that there are errors that are better
caught with speech, and
other errors better caught with Braille.

Example:  One excellent book I downloaded might have
read all right with
Braille, but was a nightmare when I read it with
speech.  This was a book I
wanted to read, and one I did read, even though
there weren't spaces after
quotation marks, resulting in things like, "I hate
this,"she said.  (Funny
thing is, JAWS reads this just fine, but my Pacmate
tried to run this and
she together because there was no space.  It did
this all through the book,
because neither the scanner or validator went in and
put spaces after the
quotation marks.  This is the kind of thing we need
to find good ways to
catch.

Finally, if the book has indices or other extras, I
make a determination as
to whether they can be salvaged.  I think I've only
ever deleted one index,
which was very nearly garbled beyond recognition.
It was for a very short
book, and I felt it didn't add much to the book.

As I'm uploading, I review everything that will be
visible when the book
goes into the collection.  For instance, I check the
short and long
synopses, title, author, publisher, copyright date,
ISBN, and the selected
categories and adult rating etc., to make sure it
looks good.

I'm not saying I won't miss things, but this is the
rough process I use.

One of my frustrations is when a scanner uploads a
book and marks it as
excellent, and then I open the book and it's clearly
not.  I downloaded one
recently where I found lots of missing words or
garbled lines, and I knew I
wouldn't be able to correct it easily.  I simply
returned the book to step
one, as I figured it'd take more effort to fix it
than I felt I could
manage.  I guess I could see how it might have
gotten an excellent rating,
as there were good-sized chunks of very readable
text, but when it went bad,
it was really bad.  I'd appreciate an honest rating.
The book probably
deserved good, which at least would have warned
potential validators that it
would require a fair bit of work.

May I ask scanners how they determine whether to
rate their submissions as
good or excellent?

And I'd love to see Bookshare scan the book on
initial submission, and offer
a potential rating.  Does it do this yet?  I know
it's something we've
talked about in the past.

Finally, I'd love to see a way to leave a comment as
to why a validator
returned a book to step one.  This could include
comments such as: Frequent
Hindi words; not familiar enough to validate ... Or
has lots of pictures
that will require interpretation by a sighted person
... Or even ... This
book has too many errors for me to validate at this
time.

I hope there's value in some of this.  Mostly, it's
just me thinking
publicly.