[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books rated excellent recently added to the collection that are really only good

  • From: eric troup <yakkoman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:31:01 -0700

I love the concert analogy. That's exactly how I feel when editing as well. I am reading a book right now where a few pages were scanned and for some reason periods just didn't make it into the finished product. Weird, too, because the rest of the book was fine. Anyway, reading the book with speech made it quite apparent where the periods were supposed to be, just by the sound and rhythm of the words. Okay, context played a part in there as well.

It's interesting to note that certain synthesizers work better for this than others. Although I generally prefer the more human-sounding speech synths, sometimes it can work against me when I'm editing. Eloquence and Doubletalk are my favorites for this kind of work.
On 23 Apr 2008, at 06:12, Bob wrote:

That's an excellent question, and there's no definitive way to know.

It depends on the tools one can use, and an individual's own experiences. And then, of course, there's good old intuition.

As I don't have any way of getting Braille output on my system, I'll leave that part of it to others. But, I'm sure as one reads a document, things stick out like sore thumbs: Things that speech would jump right over.

I use speech and have done so since the early 1980s. Therefore, speech output is like a second language to me. Before I retired, much of my work had to do with editing reports that others did. They used to call me the punctuation junky. For me, things just sounded wrong. That's the way it is when validating. I'll be reading right along when something sticks out like a sour note in a beautiful concert.

I'll give a simple example. When you read something like "1 was walking down the street," I imagine that sentence looks fine. After all doesn't the letter i and the number 1 look the same? Those who remember typewriters remember the lazy man's shortcuts people used (l or i for 1, and o for zero). I used to hate those things because they may have looked alike but they sure didn't sound alike.

As I say, it also depends on the tools one has at hand. I have come to rely on Kurzweil's "ranked spelling" tool. This handy little tool finds all the words in your document that appear to be misspelled. Then it ranks them based on how many times they are used in the document. Therefore, if a misspelling occurs, say, 280 times, chances are that it isn't a mistake. But those pesky words that occur once or twice have a good chance of being an error.

I've also used Microsoft's word spell check to find words that don't make sense. It doesn't rank the words, but it's an excellent spell checker, and can sometimes find errors that Kurzweil doesn't detect.

Okay, that's probably more than you wanted to know, but, as I said, it's an excellent question, and I wanted to give it the thoroughness it deserves.

Thanks.
Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dixie" <BlueHerons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>