atw: Re: style guide --- yr expertizzz plzzz

  • From: lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:35:57 +1000 (EST)

I've been making my own guide over the years, ready to drop in place
whenever I start a job that doesn't have one.  No single site needs
everything I've accumulated over the years but the total content is just
over 400 pages.  Much of what I have has already been mentioned so
appologies for repeats.

- Strict rules for writing, dealing with writing styles for different
outputs and audiences, punctuation, page break rules, figures, tables,
graphics, captions, definitions of common form objects, rules for writing
for translation, where to find further information on the web,

- A discussion about the separation of content from presentation, ready to
give as a presentation to new writers or developers seconded to a writing
task.

- Basic tool tips, covering all the tools I have used. (coincidently, XML
tool sets play a big part here...)

- Instructions for setting up a PC to work with the relevant tools -
minimum JRE, colour depth, settings for Windows/KDE/Gnome (and while I run
a Mac at home I've never used one professionally)

- A large number of procedures I have developed over the years and their
associated macros/scripts etc.  These are fully detailed and suitable to
give to a novice TW

- Complete definition of templates and styles for a major document set
suitable for use by a multi-national corporation, covering both
documentation and training materials.

- Complete set of rules for creating and presenting online help using a
variety of tools.  Procedures for creating help in a variety of delivery
formats etc.

- A large discussion on word selection and usage, with common errors
listed and their correct alternatives.

- Some quick reference guides for experienced TW who join my teams to
refer to when my guide is being used.

That's about it really.  And a quick glance at what I've written shows why
I need it ;-)

Cheers,

Geoff