atw: Re: style guide --- yr expertizzz plzzz

  • From: "Jasmine Andrews" <jasminethetrainer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:58:43 +1000

Language. I like to include a section explaining the basic concepts of Plain
English and that it is the preferred style of language. I include my own pet
hates in tech writing: nominalisation (turning a verb into a noun eg "In
order to perform the deletion of the redundant shifts...") and the usage of
"should" and "will" as a lot of people tend to write in the future tense,
and use big words that sound really impressive. I also like to include a
short passage on writing in the imperative, ie commands. I know that a style
guide shouldn't lapse into a grammar lesson but some times it helps to
really break it down to the basics.

Another important section is using styles to apply formatting, and which
ones to use. Perhaps this is what you already had in mind under the heading
of "formatting".  Also hyphenation, spacing, and treatment of numbers (which
ones take a numeral, which ones to spell).
Jasmine

On 11/09/2008, Matthew da Silva <mdasilva@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Well, after this morning's exhaustive debate on the need for TW tech
> savvy I'd like to get a similar volume of feedback on this – a style guide
> for user manuals. These are just the major headings. Anything glaringly not
> here? Comments more than welcome.

PNG image