atw: Re: style guide --- yr expertizzz plzzz

  • From: "Bob Trussler" <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:02:58 +1000

Unless the position on the screen is ambiguous such as when there are two
lists or two columns, I usually write in this format:

On the Download screen, at the File Name field, type the name of the file.

On the Payment screen, in the Payment Type pane, at the Card Name field,
select the card name from the drop down list.

This does rely on a screen with well labelled parts.  This may lead to you
having a little chat to the developers in which you explain that
three consecutive screens titled Payment is just not good enough.

Bob T

2008/9/16 Matthew da Silva <mdasilva@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> One issue I'm not finding described in Read Me Fist! Is how to indicate
> position on-screen, for instance: "go to the right-hand side of the
> screen".
>
> Should 'right-hand' be hyphenated here? Following the book would suggest
> that, yes, the expression 'right-hand' should be hyphenated. The problem
> is that there is client resistance to the formulation.

Bob Trussler
Phone 0418 661 462