atw: Re: Automatic long-edge/short-edge printing at section break?

  • From: John Maizels <jmaizels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 10:42:50 +1000

Re the doublesiding question: this was not a problem in my mainframe days, but it is now. If all the pages are portrait or all are landscape, then the printer can be told to do long or short side flipping respectively.

But because I'm mixing orientations, the only choices seem to be:
  * live with the portrait pages flipping incorrectly, or
* split the job in two and print part long-side, and part short-side, then collate. Every time. BAH.

I can't be the only person who deals with technical documents that have occasional fold-out pages, surely? And, of course, what I want to be able to do is hand the file to a client in a way that would process automagically.

John (who is brushing up on squaredance calls, ready for repeated do-si-do activity at the inkjet device)

OT: one of the many help files I read this morning related to moving pages around in Word (in the same way that you might rearrange charts in powerpoint). I thought page re-arranging would be a reasonable thing to do, but the general pointed response fell somewhere along the spectrum of "it doesn't do that" and "what sort of idiot would want to do that". The former was what I feared, and the latter was just annoying, but repeated often enough that I wondered if the responders work in the real world... or if anyone at M$ has ever had to create a 300 page tender document.

At 10:09 13/07/2016, you wrote:

Yes, that brightened my morning, too!

And I also have no answers. Is there room to dance widdershins around the printer?

Thanks
Elizabeth

John P Maizels FSMPTE
Mobile: +61-412-576-888

Media Versatilist:  no problem too complex

Governor Asia Pacific Region, Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers
www.smpte.org.au