[austechwriter] Re: Resumes - should interests be included

  • From: Michael West <mbwest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:34:16 +1000

Melanie asked about including "interests" on resumes.
I would definitely expect to see something about *professional*
interests on a resume, but if the question is about interests outside
of the vocation, and if we're talking about experienced
professionals rather than first-time job seekers, here's my take.

1. If someone asks you for them, then yes.
2. If they  illustrate or support your qualifications
    for the job, then yes -- and make the
    connection obvious.*
3. Otherwise, no.

Remember that your audience is probably tired
of searching for useful information among the
rubbish, under pressure, and overloaded with resumes.

* What I mean about making the connection obvious
is that instead of just writing "chess" (for example)
you allude directly to your skills and experience
in finding creative solutions to problems, etc. If
you're going to mention work with a volunteer
organization, be sure to mention it in such a way
as to highlight leadership, organisational, or
interpersonal skills and experience associated
with the activity.

--
Mike West
Melbourne

"An active-voice transitive verb always beats
a copula-and-adjective-complement combo."
-- Prof. James Bloom via William Safire