[austechwriter] Re: Resumes - should interests be included

  • From: Kathy Menzel <k.menzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:24:18 +0930

Hi Melanie
I'd say a definite yes.  It helps gives the employer a clearer picture of
you before you get to interview. Interests can say a lot about who you are
e.g motivated, social, team player, introverted etc.

Some employers won't care, but its been my experience that the ones I'd like
to work for look favourably upon resumes that clearly state the desired
skills/experience as well as giving an insight into the type of person you
are. They prefer to interview/hire candidates that lead an active and/or
involved life outside of the office, over those who don't, even if some of
your interests might be somewhat "on the edge".

Cheers and good luck.
Kathy