[austechwriter] Re: Resumes - should interests be included

  • From: Warren Lewington <wjlewington@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:59:32 +1000

It is not a bad idea to include some information about who you are in a
portfolio, because it assists in establishing some sort of relationship
with a potential colleague.

I have a portfolio which I take to interviews. The first page is a
picture of me rock climbing through a roof (it is a well known climbing
route in western Victoria). In so far as describing the type of
personality I am, that photo captures "me" very well. However I would
not include photos of myself motor racing (unless I was applying for a
job in motor racing again, in which case I would include nothing else
about "me", because motor racing is a 14 day week).

Remember. The purpose of the photo is to create an effect, it's a buy
line, if they don't notice it, keep to the point. If they spend minutes
asking about it, answer and put them back onto the point, (the job
interview).

But be careful, a party animal photo is not what I am talking about!

Don't include information about religious beliefs, political
persuasions, medical conditions, AGE, or memberships to "non-mainstream"
associations that might trigger discomfort. Overt discrimination is
prohibited, so it is now far more subtle.

An example: I was helping a mate dig trenches recently. Another of his
mates was there. This guy is a manager, an employer of people. When he
found out I was a Freemason, he had a go at me for burning black
children on stakes. He was also 'concerned' that I am a christian too.
Of course those two facets of my life indicate I value honesty,
integrity, people and being a better person more highly than power and
position. But he is always impressed that Tim and I can rock climb,
which (sic) is way beyond the comprehension of his tiny, little, mind.
The rock climbing indicates I am probably a little bit mad, but it
impresses people; go figure it.

Being an active member of an industry association is an excellent piece
of PR too. It enables the employer to believe that your life is your
work. They like that stuff, gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling, related
to making more money...

HTH.
Warren.