[AR] Re: "Direct" Hydrogen Peroxide engines

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 13:24:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016, Jonathan Goff wrote:

... an MMC powder that has the matrix be a metal that is a good peroxide catalyst, but using the reinforcement ceramic particles to give it an adequate softening temperature.

The matrix in a composite needs to hold the material together, so it can't be too soft at the working temperature.

Probably not--isn't high test peroxide just below the melting point of
silver? Or am I misremembering (I've always been a LOX guy).

Really high test peroxide is slightly above the melting point of silver, in fact, and even lower grades can be close enough to have problems. You can go to platinum and its relatives, but they're fine all by themselves, apart from the small matter of cost.

Perhaps you could turn it around, though: use some reasonably heat-resistant non-catalytic metal as the matrix, and something like MnO2 as the ceramic.