[argyllcms] Re: "Washed" / low contrast colors on calibrated display

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:15:16 -0800

On Monday 07 January 2008 12:58:19 Frédéric Crozat wrote:
snip
> Hmm, just wondering : I found on lcms-user a post from Hal Engel (
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lcms-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02180.html
> ) explaining that Huey ambiant light
> sensor is always reporting 5000K as color temperature (it seems to
> confirm my findings).
>
> Graeme, are you aware of this problem ? It might be better to not
> output any value instead of a constantly broken value.

Yes he is aware of this since he is the one that told me.  Is this a problem
or more of a documentation/user awareness issue?  It is a limitation of the
ambient light sensor on the Huey.

One option for getting an idea of the color temperature characteristics of the
ambient light with a Huey would be to do a spot reading and convert the
reading into a color temp.  My experience with the Huey it does give a fairly
consistant color temp result and that this is fairly consistant with the
color temperature results of an ambient reading with an EyeOne Display 2/Lt
but that the illumination level readings were all over the place.

In reality using any color meter for doing ambient light readings has limited
usefullness.  The illumination level is very useful but the color temperature
readings only indicates a subset of what you really need to know to evaluate
your lighting.  A spectrophotometer would be much more useful since it would
allow users to actually have an idea of how smooth the lighting spectrum is.
For example when evaluating some types of lighting such a floresent lights
you might get a nice 5000K reading from a color meter but using a
photospectrometer you might discover that the light has some very significant
peaks and valleys in it's spectrum that make the light far from ideal.

> I was also wondering the "real" difference between huey and hueyPro :
> Pantone is saying they "upgrade" the sensor firmware but I have some
> doubts about that and I guess that is their way of "selling" a pure
> software upgrade (which is not needed for argyllcms luky users ..).

I suspect that the firmware "upgrade" is to change something like the unlock
string used by the EyeOne Display meters so that the software knows it is
working with an "upgraded" device.

Hal