[argyllcms] Re: "Washed" / low contrast colors on calibrated display

  • From: "Frédéric Crozat" <fred@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:29:58 +0100

On Jan 7, 2008 11:15 PM, Hal V. Engel <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 12:58:19 Frédéric Crozat wrote:
> snip
> > Hmm, just wondering : I found on lcms-user a post from Hal Engel (
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/lcms-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02180.html
> > ) explaining that Huey ambiant light
> > sensor is always reporting 5000K as color temperature (it seems to
> > confirm my findings).
> >
> > Graeme, are you aware of this problem ? It might be better to not
> > output any value instead of a constantly broken value.
>
> Yes he is aware of this since he is the one that told me.  Is this a problem
> or more of a documentation/user awareness issue?  It is a limitation of the
> ambient light sensor on the Huey.

I guess it is more a documentation issue then. Which is why I
suggested to not display the value at all.

> In reality using any color meter for doing ambient light readings has limited
> usefullness.  The illumination level is very useful but the color temperature
> readings only indicates a subset of what you really need to know to evaluate
> your lighting.  A spectrophotometer would be much more useful since it would
> allow users to actually have an idea of how smooth the lighting spectrum is.
> For example when evaluating some types of lighting such a floresent lights
> you might get a nice 5000K reading from a color meter but using a
> photospectrometer you might discover that the light has some very significant
> peaks and valleys in it's spectrum that make the light far from ideal.

Ok, so, I'll stick to use ambiant sensor for light brightness, not
color temperature.

> > I was also wondering the "real" difference between huey and hueyPro :
> > Pantone is saying they "upgrade" the sensor firmware but I have some
> > doubts about that and I guess that is their way of "selling" a pure
> > software upgrade (which is not needed for argyllcms luky users ..).
>
> I suspect that the firmware "upgrade" is to change something like the unlock
> string used by the EyeOne Display meters so that the software knows it is
> working with an "upgraded" device.

Huey colorimeter is low entry, compared to Eye One, so I'm not even
sure it is "upgrade" on the hardware side.

Of course, it would be interesting to compare the usb traffic on Huey
and HueyPRO ;)

--
Frederic Crozat