[argyllcms] "Washed" / low contrast colors on calibrated display

Hi all,

now that I've packaged argyllcms for Mandriva Linux and got my brand
new Huey probe working with it "out of the box",
I'm trying to get decent calibration on the various displays I'm using
at home and at work (and to try to fix color management error in GNOME
software ;)

I'm only discussing calibration here and not profiling (one step at a time ;)

After a lot of trials with dispcal, I'm getting my first results but
I'm not really happy with them : images seems to lack vivid colors,
everything look "washed" (sorry if I'm not using the right term).

I'm having the same results with different monitors (all LCD, one
medium-level Sony and two entry-level Belinea) , so I'm wondering if
I'm doing everything correctly. I've shown this to our art designer at
Mandriva (since she knows how stuff is supposed to look) and she
agreed with me colors look as if they were supposed to be printed,
which is not the intent for our Mandriva display background (for
instance).

I'm also not sure what are the "best" settings for brightness (I know
it is very subjective).

Another related interrogation regarding how to better tune LCD monitor
before starting calibration :
my home monitor (Sony) allows to modify backlight, contrast and
brightness. I can also choose 3 gamma levels (seems to be 1.8, 2.1 and
2.4, when I use dispcal to measure it) and color temperature setting
(9300K, 6500 and user defined (ie only Red and Blue offset). However,
when I check color temperature with dispcal -R, I get a white point at
5875K (when 9300K is chosen on monitor), 5190K (when choosing 6500K).
So, I'm wondering what is the best setting to choose (and if I should
force a value using -t ) ?

Also, the only way to change black point and white point is to change
the user defined "temperature", so I can't get a low dE for both black
point and white point. Which one should I try to get with the smallest
dE ?

I guess most of those interrogations are common from color newbies like me ;)

BTW, there is a slight error in dispcal usage (-h) : -q accepts u
(ultra high), but it is not printed in usage ouput.

--
Frederic Crozat