[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.1.0 RC2 is now available

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:44:50 +0000

Hi :)

Richard Hughes wrote:

I _don't_ want to fork Argyll, I just wanting a single UNIXy tarball
that I can sync with your releases every few months that is suitable
for distros to just slurp up.

Maybe I'm alone in this view, but I see an important distinction between tweaking udev rules, linkage of USB libraries and suchlike on the one hand, and actual changes to the tunings of the algorithms on the other.

Far-fetched analogy time: The former case is akin to "plumbing in" an appliance in a specific setting (i.e. a particular Linux distribution) - and if anything's screwed up here I will know because something will simply not work.

The latter case, on the other hand, is more like modifying the behaviour of the appliance itself - this is a much more subtle change, and as a user I could remain blissfully unaware that I'm getting something other than stock behaviour. It's this *subtlety* that makes me a little uneasy about distribution-specific packages carrying such changes - and makes me believe it's far more important that they be clearly marked.

That's my take, anyway, for what it's worth. Needless to say, I don't mean to detract in any way from anyone's efforts - that these issues arise is an encouraging sign that interest in Colour Mangement is on the increase.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson