[argyllcms] Re: ArgyllCMS V1.1.0 RC2 is now available

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 01:14:17 +0000

Hi :)

Graeme Gill wrote:

* Re-worked gamut mapping to improve saturation levels within the bulk of the gamut, as well as improve hue preservation. The overall "look" should be closer to that of V1.0.4, while retaining more detail. (It's a bit faster too!)

Good to hear - not had a chance to play with this aspect yet, though :)

* Added device power value for targen to allow calibrating devices that have extreme non linearity.

Thanks for adding this - I've not played in great depth, but it seems to be doing the trick. As a stress-test I deliberately cranked the ink coverage up to just shy of the point where a single channel at 100% saturates the paper and printed a test chart with -p3.0. As expected the TIFF looked very light, but when printed gave a nice evenly spread testchart, with good spacer contrast and no difficulty reading it. Printcal was then able to generate suitable curves and successfully picked reasonable per-channel limits.

What I did, notice, though, was that the testchart contains fewer patches than I asked for - I generated a CMYK testchart with -f0 -m0 -s100, but got a .ti1 with only 192 patches. I presume patches are being culled for being too light, as a result of the extreme power-adjustment?

Oh, quick question, too - is it possible (and if not, consider this a feature request! ;) to prevent printtarg from "filling up" a partially-filled column with colorant combination patches? (I might have asked that before - memory fails right now.)

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson