[arachne] Re: CPU sleep test result

  • From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:49:22 -0500

Don't know about propaganda, but there have been numerous accounts of nVidia
chipsets wearing out and failing due to "cycling"...especially in notebooks.
The cycle of heating up, then cooling down, can lead to the chipset coming
apart from the substrate.  My old Pentium 166, prior to semi-retirement last
year, was not turned off unless a lightning storm in the area, or the
electricity was lost in ice storms, or when I moved residences, in some 7
years.  Did I waste a few watts of electricity?  Maybe...but with 5 people in
the family it was almost always in use.
Same with my Dell Inspiron...it stays on, albeit in sleep mode, as well as the
monitor goes to sleep...one tap on a key and it's ready to use.
Anyway, to each their own...it depends on the particular machine and your usage
habits!

CU L8R!
Wiz  <{;-)

Ps.  Your keyboard have an "any key"?
Hehe...I used to get a cheap laugh out of telling newbies to "press the any
key" to return to Magic Desk (my DOS desktop)!
<{;-)