[arachne] Re: CPU sleep test result

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:00:24 +0930

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:47:02 -0400 (EDT), Sam Ewalt wrote:

> Very old school, Glenn. While it certainly couldn't hurt to unplug
> there is the convenience factor. My computer is on all the time, even
> at night when I'm sleeping. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night
> and feel the urge to look something up or check my email. I might wander
> over to the computer at any time.

Egad! My DOS computer can boot up in less than 20 seconds and is ready
to run Arachne. The slowest thing about wanting to get email is logging
on to the net which takes 30-45 seconds.

I can understand why people want to leave their Windoze computers
permanently turned on, whether in sleep mode or otherwise. My #2
computer running XP-Pro with a 1.6GHz processor takes 40 seconds before
it askes for the log-on password, then another 2-3 minutes before all
the start-up tests are done and it is ready to do anything for me.

But I still shut it down and switch it off when I'm not using it. The
master switch on the wall feeds a power board that supplies the
computer, the monitor, the printer, the external speakers, and the
modem. Total power drain with the computer shut down but power still on
to everything is about 40 watts.

> But most of the time it's not only turned on, but it's running Firefox
> and connected via DSL. It's waiting for me.

And waiting for anyone with the right hooks to invade it - although I
must agree that FF is a lot less susceptible that IE.

    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
        "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

   ,-./\
  /     \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
  \_,-*_/   "Queen City of The South"  35d 01'44"S  138d 32'13"E