[arachne] Re: CPU sleep test result

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:47:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, October 11, 2009 4:19 pm, Glenn McCorkle wrote:

> Question....
>
> When not in use.... why is your computer still turned-on ?
>
> When mine is not in use..... not only is it turned-off....
> but the power cord is unplugged from the wall as-well.

Very old school, Glenn. While it certainly couldn't hurt to unplug
there is the convenience factor. My computer is on all the time, even
at night when I'm sleeping. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night
and feel the urge to look something up or check my email. I might wander
over to the computer at any time.

I do turn it off when I go away for more than twenty-four hours, but
I don't unplug. If I'm going away for more than a weekend I'll turn off
the power strip.

But most of the time it's not only turned on, but it's running Firefox
and connected via DSL. It's waiting for me.

Sam Ewalt