[arachne] Re: CPU sleep test result

  • From: "Destiny" <destiny2b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:16:39 -0700

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 19:49:47 -0500, Glenn McCorkle wrote:

>>> In effect cool cpu.

> I decided to see if such a thing were reaally needed in DOS
> After about 5min of running in DOS, rebooted to Linux to check temps.

> CPU Temp:   +100.4°F  (low  = +32.0°F, high = +260.6°F)
> Next step was to reboot into Linux to check the temps again.
> CPU Temp:   +118.4°F  (low  = +32.0°F, high = +260.6°F)

> With only an 18°F temp rise on the CPU after 90min of intensive use...
> IMO, no such thing as a CPU sleep program is needed in DOS

 Interesting, thanks for effort.  What temperature occurs when idle?  Does
Linux have a cool down feature?

 Temps considered normal for you are high for me.  Examples:

Arachne in straight dos 46c-115f, run in os/2 with cool tsr 35c-95f

Sitting idle in dos or doze: 42-46c 107-115f
Ilde in os/2: 25-28c 77-82f

This with a fan made for pentium 1 running on top of a duron 750

Found a dosidle app from http://japeth.de  Look in dos tools, also can run
doze apps in dos without windows.

Temperature drops to 31c-87f  Of course using a dos app brings cpu back to
full.  Low temperature is important to me for durability reasons.  Examples:

Laptop running dos or doze literally shutdown from heat, were told were
junk.  Yet they ran os/2 and never had a problem since.  16 years never had
an internal problem in a machine (1 keyboard shorted out).  Would use dos
more if it ran cooler.  The dosidle app helps.

Would like to hear from the Linux folks what occurs when at idle.  Is there
a cool cycle?  There is quite a difference between OS for cpu usage and
temperature.  Friend's XP box ran at 51% cpu usage with no app started, yet
at least double cpu speed.  Mine was 2%

Main box has an external digital temp display.  Can monitor difference
between apps running.  Temps have been creeping up lately.  Time to
clean heatsink and redo paste.  From what I have learned temperature is most
critical in electronics durability.

Info on other dos idle apps and other OS temps appreciated.

  Cal