[arachne] Re: Arachne for Linux

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:11:44 -0500

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:04:24 -0400 (EDT), Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Glenn McCorkle wrote:

>> I have succeeded in making a 'fresh compile' of arachne-svgalib

> I rarely used that one, not so much because of the
> security issues, but because using svga concurrently with X
> tended to crash X.

>> http://www.cisnet.com/glennmcc/my-stuff/aralinux.zip

> Haven't gotten svgalib working in FreeBSD yet (There are a
> lot of things I haven't yet figured out in FreeBSD) to try
> it here under the Linux compatibility package, and on my
> wife's Xandros Linux (Debian/KDE derivative), I just get a
> black screen.  After escaping back to X, the only message is
> [svgalib: Allocated virtual console #10]

arachne-svgalib needs to be run directly from the CLI either before
starting X or after sutting down X

If you try running her in a 'terminal window' from inside of X....
she is destined to fail.

arachne-ggi is the one to try from inside of X... not arachne-svgalib

This not due to any problem in Arachne herslf.

But rather it is a basic incompatability between X and svgalib

X and ggi play together nicely.

X and svgalib do not.

--
 Glenn
 http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --