[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:26:03 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:05:06 -0500
"Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 06:29:56 -0500 (EST), ewalt@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Greg Mayman said:
>
> >> As far as I am aware, Arachne was tested under many different
> >> DOSes before it was released, and that testing included the Alt-E
> >> function and its return to Arachne.

<snipped>

> Thank you Sam, very well said.
>
> Just as Michael Polak did in the past...
>
> Today... We, the members of the Arachne development team, still rely
> upon our 'user base' to also be our 'testing base'.
>
> Most, if not all, of we programmers use only one version of DOS
> in our development process.
>
> Mine is OpenDos v7.01
> Ray Andrews uses MsDos but with 4DOS as his command interpreter.
>
> I don't recall right off-hand which versions of DOS Joe, Christof,
> Andrej, Michal, Vladimir, Udo or any of the other team members are using.
>
> In addition, since each and every one of us are doing this strictly
> as a hobby and each us have jobs we must go to every day....
>
> None of us have time to do the type of thorough testing which really
> needs to be done.
>
> We must therefore rely upon you, the users to tell us what we need to do
> to make Arachne better.

   That has been the case since I first used Arachne (v1.1).

   And I test her out in MSDOS 6.20 - including all my customisation.

   And, to return to the original question, Alt+E and EXIT work flawlessly for
me.  Before the current automatic return to the drive:\directory we have now,
there was also Dev Teelucksingh's workaround that did the job whenever the
"current directory" became something different than Arachne's.

   As it is, I always make sure that with every new version of Arachne I go
through all of my custom .ooks and make sure that they also return me to the
working Arachne directory. (Failing to do this meant that I often started with
one Arachne version but was returned to another Arachne version - it could get
quite confusing like that.)     :)

Regards,
        Ron

--