[amayausers] Re: Hooping

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:18:37 -0400

Our very first job after getting the amaya was 150 sweatshirts...school
mascot with group names, custom digitizing...yeah, jump right in with no
experience!
But what we did figure out....was to use the adhesive backing, cut a piece
just larger than the hoop...and sliding it into the sweatshirt and sticking
it in place BEFORE hooping...using the 'pallet' on my screen printer as a
hoop station. I could lay the adhesive backing down on the pallet, since
there was already a 'tacky' surface there it would stay put, and then put
the sweatshirt on just like I was going to screen print it...press hard
where the adhesive backing was, then slide the hoop in through the neck or
under the hem, and under the now-stuck in place adhesive backing! Perfect
hooping every time.
For the jackets (Sanmar) with the 'hidden' zipper for embroiderers...we took
the largest piece of cut away backing-sprayed it with adhesive, then slide
it inside the jackets (barn coats, coaches jackets, we've done about 5
types) and then lay the jacket on a table and press hard on the back...to
stick the paper in place. Then slide in the large wooden hoop (this was for
full back designs). Once embroidered, no need to cut away backing-just
remove the hoop. The extra backing adds to the insulation and cannot be
seen-and you aren't trying to crawl inside the jacket to cut it away! (Tear
away was not heavy enough-needed thick backing to keep jacket back from
sliding on the hoop)
The adhesive spray is the 'pallet spray' for screen printers-left way less
residue than the more expensive stuff and is made to wash off when laundered
anyways. We noticed less gunk on the needles, but still clean them off every
so often when changing or fixing broken threads.
Roland