[access-uk] Re: Really good, accessible web sites.

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:06:39 +0100

Hi Tink.

How will you determine what is a, "Accessible", web site?

I am not wanting to be argumentative here.  smiles

Will you refer to W3C?

I hope that in any conclusion and/or opening it is stressed that, "Accessible", is still a subjective term. And that lack of knowledge, (I don't personally believe training is always the answer , although this is something that can help but I don't believe it's called for as much as it's suggested) Bottom line in tech support mainstream or otherwise the end user is allot more at fault than the site in this case. Often due to them not having the skills for whatever reason to use their adaptive/mainstream and general operating system to it' sfull capacity to gain access.

OK, now I've made those big sweeping remarks I should include a website or few I suppose?

Although I don't think there's many sites that are inaccessible in their entirety.

N'ways why not include

www.thinkgeek.com

www.paypal.co.uk

www.google.com (.co.uk)

My hosting company

www.dhosting.co.uk

The guys even got keyboard shortcuts on there.

www.ebay.co.uk

Who actually have buttons you can hit on to have standard web forms on instead of Java. But who have no audio authentication system in place but paypal that they push and partner with do?

Anyways it's a place I spent a small fortune on over the past few weeks and was quite miffed that I had to get a mate to change my email address for me because of the graphical auth system.

I could go on....

You may wish to look at the links on Tom's site whitestick.co.uk and even the favourites page on jfwlite as well.

Dj Paddy
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."
-- Popular Usenet Sig
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tink Watson" <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>