[access-uk] Re: MORE ON BBC IPLAYER

  • From: "Colin Fowler" <col.fowler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 07:05:36 +0100

Hi Ray,
 The accessibility issues surrounding I Player are also concerning concerns
throughout other sectors of the Deaf and disabled community...
BBC iPlayer Accessibility Update and Comments

Since I last blogged about the BBC's
iPlayer,
there's been developments but the access still leaves a lot to be desired.

Sign Zone now has a category of its own

People might remember that
I complained about the trying
to find a
needle in the haystack,
when attempting to source signed programmes. The BBC's Access 2.0
picked up on my comments in this blog post.

It seems the BBC has finally listened (yay!) and now
has a Sign Zone category.
Finally we can find programmes, to actually watch.

Subtitles - A Recent History

Subtitling has been riddled with problems within the past year, and for months
we were without any subtitles. This was actually
difficult to get the BBC to take any note,
and for months it became talking to a brick wall. Replies you got were along
the lines that painted you as a dunce, not knowing how to turn the subtitles
on, instead of an end user who was capable of navigating and seeing something
different.

Subtitling Now - The Theory

From the BBC's information page:
Block quote start
The programme information pages will let you know if subtitles are available
above the Download button - if they're available you'll see Includes optional
subtitles.
Block quote end

And you need an up to date download manager (which incidentally I have):
Block quote start
Click on the S button, which will only appear when subtitles are available, to
make any subtitles viewable. If you have problems watching subtitles in
full-screen
mode, make sure you have the latest version of the Download Manager.
Block quote end

More information here,
including turning on subtitles in Windows Media Player.

That's the theory, important read under the next sub header!

Subtitles in Practice - Labelling content as subtitled when it is not!

This is my current number one gripe. Absence of subtitles is annoying, but
labelling programmes as being subtitled and they are not takes a sharp hike in
the annoying scales. Here's an example, it says the programme to download
contains subtitles:
includessubtitles.jpg

So believing the BBC to be trusted, and factual you go ahead and download
400mb, only to find there's no subtitles to be had:
nosbutton.jpg

That is the latest version of iPlayer, and I know the S button works because it
has been displayed for programmes that has actually contained subtitles.

Some examples of recent programmes labelled as subtitled, but actually not:

- Ex-Forces and Homeless
- Have I Got News For You (this week, last week, week before)
- Inside the Medieval Mind

There's more, but you get the picture. I've downloaded well over 4gb of
supposed subtitled programmes recently, and only one of these programme was
subtitled.
Without subtitles I cannot access programmes, its as simple as that. Yet I'm
expected to trust the BBC's access information, take the trouble to download
something, to find out this information is wrong. So I take a chance with
another programme, and another and the same mistakes are happening.

This all uses bandwidth. If that goes over my ISP limit I have to fork out
additional charges, not to mention the power used perform these tasks. The BBC's
negligence - because that is what it is, make no mistake about it - costs me
money. Its not a one off mistake to forget to add subtitles, its recurring
to the extent that the system cannot be trusted.

What's happening here? The BBC labelling programmes as subtitles to tick off
some target, or something not co-ordinated?

Subtitling iPlayer - The Future

Subtitles for live streaming is not yet available, but
indicates that it already should be:
Block quote start
At present, subtitles are only available for downloads, although we are working
on making subtitles available for Click to Play (streaming) from early 2008.
Block quote end

The BBC missed that target then, since early 2008 has been and gone!

Jonathan Hassell, Acting Head of Audience Experience & Usability,[Head of
Accessibility and Useability technology audiencefacing now] said on the
the BBC internet blog:
Block quote start
Going forwards, next on the roadmap is adding subtitles to iPlayer streams,
which is something we're working hard on and hope to have ready some time in
June or July.
Block quote end

This needs to happen as soon as possible, as a deaf people appear to be
disproportionate users of alternative platforms. (The downloaded version of
iPlayer
only works on Windows). He goes onto state:
Block quote start
After that we'll be looking at the possibility of making subtitles available
for iPlayer on other platforms, such as the wii or iPhone. We'll also be looking
at the possibility of providing subtitles for those programmes which use live
subtitles or those time-sensitive programmes which tend to change minutes
before transmission. That's a whole new challenge.
Block quote end

That is good news, and I would certainly like to see subtitles available for
Wii. Currently, we have two lots of downloads happening in my household - my
family accesses iPlayer via Wii, and me via a download button (often to
discover the subtitles aren't there). This puts pressure on bandwidth load,
because
I cannot watch iPlayer with the rest of the household. Why should we have to
download something twice, because of a lack of access?

However, there's a case of part wanting to tell the BBC to walk before it can
run here. Sort out your current problems first, because labelling is laughable.
Its annoying. It cannot be that difficult to fix? Be honest, tell me its not
subtitled before making me download.

    From: George Bell

    What is so dreadful about them saying the following?
    "We have received similar reports from other users and I can confirm that
our development team are working hard to resolve the issue."

    Sounds to me like they are at least trying, having had other complaints.

    George.

    From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Richard Godfrey-McKay
    Subject: [access-uk] MORE ON BBC IPLAYER

    Hi, In case it's of interest, here's the dreadful reply I got from the
beeb, followed by my reply - which, on rereading, should have been stronger:
    "Dear Richard

    Thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer support team.

    I understand you want audio description on BBC iPlayer for screen reader
users.

    We have received similar reports from other users and I can confirm that
our development team are working hard to resolve the issue.

    You may wish to check the BBC iPlayer messageboard for the latest updates
regarding this issue.

    www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer

    For future reference you may wish to know that you can contact the BBC
iPlayer support team via the following web form:

https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbciplayer/emailForms/emailPage

    Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer. If you have any further
enquires please do not hesitate to contact our team.

    Regards

    Usha

    BBC iPlayer

    Dear Usha, Thank you for your reply to my complaint.

    I'm afraid that you haven't really resolved matters to my satisfaction.

    I mentioned that I felt that this may well constitute a breach of the
provisions of the Disability Discrimination Act, as the service being provided
is no longer accessible to screenreader users. I'd be grateful if you would
please deal with that point, and let me know by when it is intended that the
iPlayer will be accessible. Why were the needs of screenreader users not
incorporated into the new player before it was released?

    Is there a formal complaints procedure which I can follow to have the
matter investigated thoroughly?

    With many thanks,

    Richard Godfrey-McKay

    Richard Godfrey-McKay
    Tel: (01738) 445 880
    Mobile: (07791) 452 593

    Please read this special message

    My partner, Cindy, is losing weight and at the same time, raising money for
RNIB.

    Please go to

    www.justgiving.com/slimmercindy

     to make a generous donation to RNIB and keep her healthy and motivated to
lose even more weight.42Lb to
    date!

    Thanks for reading this message.
    Richard