[access-uk] Re: Firefox

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:51:10 +0200

There are some third party scripts for Firefox and jaws 5.x and higher available from

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/s2s/latest/jaws1/home/downloads.shtml

These were developed for firefox 1.0 and I do not know how well they work with the current firefox 1.5. Also, these work by reformatting webpages, a little bit like jaws 3.2 and 3.3.0 did before jaws's virtual cursor came along in jaws 3.3.1. Thus if you use your older version of jaws with the above scritps, you might be able to poke around in firefox some, but if you want to explore it more, you might want to download yourself a demo of jaws 7.x - or wineyes 5.5. <g>

hth

Doris

At 04:46 PM 8/10/2006 +0100, you wrote:

Hello Bary,
I think, that you need JFW 6 and up for fire-fox support. Could be wrong, often am. Jfw 5.1 and firefox don't work here at any rate.

If you are running 2k or xp, I don't think you would be wise to remove ie. Don't even know if you can, without some serious hacking, it's an integral part of the os isn't it?

But certainly you can run more than one browser if you want.
Best,

Joe
At 15:42 10/08/2006 +0100, you wrote:
I'm tempted to try out Firefox as a browser but I have a few questions:

Does it work with jfw5.1?
Are there any recommended settings for this version ofJaws?
How do I make it the default browser?
I've read that not all sites can be viewed by firefox. Do I need to keep IE on my machine?
If this is the case, what do I do to use IE if the page won't display with firefox?

Thanks very much

Barry