[yshavurah] Re: Bar/Bat Mitzvah rituals

  • From: "Johanna" <rebiljoj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Seitz" <david.seitz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:05:16 -0500

David, et. al.

Daniele is absolutley right!  I have no doubt that my grandfather could read
Torah at a young age.  He certainly could as an adult and served as a hazzan
and chaplain for stateside troupes during WWII.  My grandfather may also
have read the Torah portion, etc. but, let's face it, my father certainly
wasn't there to report about it!  So, my dad may have been making a point,
or repeating the point that was made to him by his father.  My grandfather
was also B. Mitzvah in Russia in what was probably the very late 1800's (he
was 36 or 37 when my dad was born, and he would be 84 today), so who knew
what they were able to do, or what it was even safe to do.  I know very
little about their pre-US life.

What I do know it that it was not such a big deal for boys to do.  Boys (but
definitly NOT girls) were taught, and expected to know, how to daven, read
Torah, lead services, and study Talmud, in addition to excelling in their
secular studies.  What they didn't have it theater, basketball, soccer, etc.
competing for their time.  They were not "well rounded."  They also didn't
have the money to make a big deal out of it.

So, even though we reject the ostentation of most of the big B. Mitzvahs we
see today, it kind of makes sense that as Jews became more affluent, that
they would spend their money on a big deal for their kids.  Things just got
out of hand, as they sometimes do.

You realize, of course, this is all a bit of CYA, for me.  Rebecca wants a
big party with a DJ for her Bat Mitzvah, and, well, if the means are there,
we will probably do it. :-)

Johanna