[yshavurah] Re: Fwd: MAIL-HAVURAH digest 939

  • From: "Johanna" <rebiljoj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:00:35 -0500

Cheryl,

thank you so much for sharing the information about the Bar/Bat Mitzvah
issue with us.  It's good to know what other folks are doing.

I remember preparing for my own Bat Mitzvah and asking my father about his
and his father's.  My father's was a big deal.  The family was very
prominent in the Jewish community, real machers, and so he had a big thing.
But for my grandfather not a big thing at all.

Sometime around his 13th birthday, at a Shabbat morning service, he was
called up for an aliyah.  That was it.  No party, no big deal at all.  His
mother probably wasn't even there.  (ouch!)  By saying the blessings for the
Torah reading, that meant that he was now considered an adult, in religious
eyes, and now had the obligations and privleges of an adult.

When Bill and I lived in Florida, the rabbi of our Conservative synagogue
went on sabbatical for a year in Israel.  A knowledgeable man in the
congregation, but not a rabbi, performed all the life-cycle functions.  The
only thing he couldn't do is convert people or perform a wedding, because he
would have had to comply with state regulations for a wedding.  He did it
all.

At the Conservative IMUN (pararabbinic-style program), we were told that
this was perfectly acceptable.  Rabbis, unlike, Catholic priests, for
instance, do not have "special powers."  The term "rabbi" refers to a degree
of learning, not to any more of a relationship with G-d than any other Jew.
There are few things rabbis can do that layity can't accept, of course, for
making more rabbis!  In Orthodox synagogues, for instance, you will seldom
see the rabbi leading services.  In small shuls without a cantor, any man
who knows how can and will do it.  This is also a growing practice in
Conservative and Reform congregations, not just in havurahs.

When I was teaching at the temple in Piqua, I prepared 2 girls for their Bat
Mitzvah.  One scheduled the service for a time when the rabbinic student
that served the congregation could come so that she could lead the service.
The other asked me to officiate.  We asked the rabbinic student and other
powers that be, and there was no reason for me not to do this.  It was
pretty indimidating, in a way, but went off without a hitch, and it was a
lovely service.

Johanna