Re: DeuTex 4.4.902 is out

  • From: Jon Dowland <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andre Majorel <amajorel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:33:53 +0100

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 11:08:02AM +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:
> You'll have less to do with 4.4.902. All the email addresses have
> been mangled. Also, configure now handles the FHS distinction
> between /usr and /usr/local ($(PREFIX)/share/man for the former,
> $(PREFIX)/man for the latter, unless it's changed yet again). But
> I see you're setting PREFIX to "$(DESTDIR)/usr", in which case
> configure will go for $(PREFIX)/man anyway. I thought you would
> use chroot instead.

I see what you mean about the configure script handling the FHS. That is
useful.

Right now I am having a bit of trouble with the packaging, in relation
to the prefix/destdir business. It seems the debian approach to things
is to pass $(DESTDIR) to the Makefile during building (the Makefile's
argument may be called PREFIX, rather than DESTDIR). Forgive me if I am
wrong (highly likely, I think - I am feeling rather fatigued right now)
but it looks like, with 4.4.902, you can only influence these variables
at the configure stage.

The problem there is that during the building of the .deb, debian's
tools configure, make and install the tools into a temporary
sub-directory somewhere (usually $PROGRAMROOT/debian/$SOMETHING, where
$SOMETHING is not determined by the scripts I write). They then analyse
the files in this subdirectory to create the list of files to
install/uninstall when the package is installed/uninstalled.

It seems with GNU autoconf programs, what they do is pass --prefix=/usr
to the configure script, in order to get all that FHS stuff, then later
override it as part of the Makefile.

Right now, I think I will have to either adjust the Makefile (or
Makefile.in) to suppor overriding the BINDIR stuff that ./configure
provides; or pass a different --prefix to the configure script and fix
the FHS differences afterwards. I think the former is preferable. The
way I think to go about it might be to have a Makefile-oriented PREFIX
which is _always_ put behind the root, even behind whatever --prefix
specifies, but which is normally set to nothing. So,

  ./configure with --prefix=/usr would set BINDIR=$(PREFIX)/usr/bin
  Makefile would treat $(PREFIX) as "" by default (BINDIR=/usr/bin)
  debian/rules could pass PREFIX=(whatever) to put it in a sub-tree

(I fear I will have confused DESTDIR,PREFIX,prefix,--prefix, etc. in
this email)!

> the "Copyright Holder" section lists just Olivier and me. Unless
> you performed a GIFectomy shouldn't this include David Koblas,
> David Kaplan and Jef Poskanzer ?

I think I extracted the names for this field from one of the documents.
Apologies to David and Jef for their omission!

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/