[Wittrs] I Experience a Common Speech Pattern

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:40:36 -0500

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>I am asserting that 'I experience' is true.

>>I also assert 'I experience afterimages'. when I am in fact
>>experiencing an afterimage, I assert 'I am experiencing an afterimage'

>>on the other hand, it seems that you have adopted some bizarre rule of
>>grammar that prevents you from reporting afterimages. is that true? if
>>not, how would you state a first person report of experiencing an
>>afterimage?

>You can assert that the claim "I experience" is true, just like you can
>assert that the claim "the moon is made of green cheese" is true,
>but that doesn't make it true.

similarly, if your only evidence that the claim 'I experience' is
neither true nor false is the fact that you say so; then, you've got no
evidence at all.

>I can report "I see an afterimage" as a mode of common speech

I am experiencing an afterimage is also a common mode of speech (and one
that doesn't depend on a metaphorical interpretation of 'seeing').

>this mode of speech confuses two different language games, and thereby
>misleads the unawary into thinking there is an "experiencer" of that
>afterimage.

if reporting "I see an afterimage" is an accurate report; then, would
you kindly explain why "I am experiencing an afterimage" is not an
accurate report of experiencing an afterimage?

Joe