[Wittrs] Re: I Experience a Common Speech Pattern

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:36:56 -0000

[Cayuse]: Yes, it's very convincing to speak of /my/ experience as one
would speak of /my/ books, or /my/ foot, or /my/ body.

Joseph Polanik wrote:
unless you show that experience is not evidence of experiencing,
my experiences are evidence that I experience.

Experiencing requires an experiencer and there is no experiencer in the data
of experience. Furthermore, the conception of an experiencer serves no
purpose in any explanatory account of anything that appears in the data of
experience. Nobody can stop you clinging to your version of Santa Claus,
but why should it not fall prey to Occam's Razor?

Joseph Polanik wrote:
single quoting a word indicates that you are referring to the word rather
than to its referent.

Feel free to use single quoting that way if you like.
I use it to indicate that this 'I' that putatively 'experiences' is a
senseless conceptual object that contributes nothing of any value.