[Wittrs] I Experience a Common Speech Pattern

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:15:50 -0400

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>where you say "that there is data of experience is not in question"
>>I would simply say "that there is experience is not in question". do
>>you see any difference between those two statements?

>In the case of the word 'experience' (as in "conscious experience") it
>could refer to a particular object or event appearing in the stream of
>experience, or it could refer to that stream itself. That there is
>experience (a stream of experiences) is not in question, and that there
>are experiences (particular objects and events appearing in the stream
>of experience) is not in question.

so, there is no problem with using 'experience' as a noun; and, you're
okay with its use as a mass noun (there is experience) and with its use
as a count noun (there are experiences).

the problem is clearly with the use of 'experience' as a verb in the
statement, "I experience".

you say "I experience" is neither true nor false because there is no
empirical evidence that "I experience" is true and no empirical evidence
that "I experience" is false.

I say that "I experience" is true based on the evidence of experience.

[Joe]: my experience is all the evidence I need to conclude that 'I
experience' is true.

[Cayuse]: Yes, it's very convincing to speak of /my/ experience as one
would speak of /my/ books, or /my/ foot, or /my/ body.

yes, the evidence of experience is very convincing; but, dwelling on the
convincing nature of the evidence is just another distraction.

unless you show that experience is not evidence of experiencing, my
experiences are evidence that I experience.