[Wittrs] I Experience a Common Speech Pattern

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:49:15 -0400

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>similarly, if your only evidence that the claim 'I experience' is
>>neither true nor false is the fact that you say so; then, you've got
>>no evidence at all.

>Correct! -- you can have no evidence for your argument since
>experience is non-empirical.

I agree that experience is not an empirical or measurable phenomenon;
but, it does not follow that there is no evidence that 'I experience' is
false.

my experience is all the evidence I need to conclude that 'I experience'
is true.

>>I am experiencing an afterimage is also a common mode of speech (and
>>one that doesn't depend on a metaphorical interpretation of 'seeing').

>You can say "I am experiencing an afterimage" if you wish, but it
>doesn't resolve the confusion. Rather the confusion *starts* there.

what confusion would that be?

up until now, you've only told us about the benefits of using language
such as 'I experience' and 'I am experiencing ...'. you've said this
sort of language facilitates recognition that the so-called hard problem
of consciousness is a legitimate topic for inquiry.

>>if reporting "I see an afterimage" is an accurate report; then, would
>>you kindly explain why "I am experiencing an afterimage" is not an
>>accurate report of experiencing an afterimage?

>"I see an afterimage" is a mode of common speech that entails an
>extension of a language game into an area where it is inapplicable.
>There is nothing that "sees" this afterimage.

kindly explain how an afterimage is seen when there is nothing that sees
an afterimage.

Joe