[Wittrs] Re: I Experience a Common Speech Pattern

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:38:51 -0000

Joseph Polanik wrote:
similarly, if your only evidence that the claim 'I experience' is
neither true nor false is the fact that you say so; then, you've got
no evidence at all.

Correct! -- you can have no evidence for your argument since
experience is non-empirical. Your putative "experiencer" is
therefore a prime candidate for Occam's Razor.

I am experiencing an afterimage is also a common mode of speech (and
one that doesn't depend on a metaphorical interpretation of 'seeing').

You can say "I am experiencing an afterimage" if you wish, but it doesn't resolve the confusion. Rather the confusion *starts* there.

if reporting "I see an afterimage" is an accurate report; then, would
you kindly explain why "I am experiencing an afterimage" is not an
accurate report of experiencing an afterimage?

"I see an afterimage" is a mode of common speech that entails an
extension of a language game into an area where it is inapplicable.
There is nothing that "sees" this afterimage.