[Wittrs] Re: Dualism Cooties: Ontologically Basic Ambiguity

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 02:04:41 -0000

> Following Searle, we can reduce mental phenomena to third-person
causal descriptions without reducing them ontologically.

If the experience of pain is nothing like the firing of C-fibers, in
what sense has pain been reduced? In the sense that there is no pain
without C-fibers firing? If so, (but I rather doubt it because people
report pain under all sorts of conditions which wouldn't seem to warrant
it), setting that aside, how do we describe the causal relation between
C-fibers and the experience/report of pain?

bruce