[Wittrs] Re: Following a Rule

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:03:53 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rob de Villiers <wittrs@...> wrote:

> > The problem arises because some people like to
> > say strange things such as "the brain is computing".
> > And then other people, quite reasonably, ask what
> > it means to say "the brain is computing". In my
> > opinion, it doesn't mean anything.
>
> Indeed & agreed. I gathered you thought as much.
> In the other thread I wondered whether Josh had read
> the Bennett-Dennett-Hacker-Searle debate published as
> Neuroscience & Philosophy....

Sure, but gentlemen, might it be an easier question
to ask what it means to say, "my computer is computing"?

Is the answer really, "nothing interesting"?

I know Neil, at least, has expressed some interest in
whether it has a clock driving it - and presumably additional
electrical power, in the kinds of actual chips that we use.

Josh

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz