[Wittrs] Re: Following a Rule

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:43:56 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rob de Villiers <wittrs@...> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> "Just life, the universe, and everything."
>
> As you well know, the answer is ... 42.
>
> Very pressed for time, and will try to
> respond properly one of these days...
>
> Some aquaintance with Dennet, Searle, not
> overly convinced...  ingenious, but I always
> feel I smell a rat ... or several rats... and
> usually lack the time and tallent to flush
> them out.

Well, flushing those white mice is a part of my
computationalism project.

> Have you read _Neuroscience and Philosophy_
> (Columbia Uni press) the account of the Bennett,
> Dennett, Hacker, Searle debate ... I think
> many of the fundamental issues are brought into
> fairly clear focus there.

Had not seen that book, will probably pick it up.

Of course, I have read most of the Bennett and Hacker book,
ten books by Dennett, and five books by Searle.  Of these,
Dennett is closest to what I'm trying to do, especially in is
latest books - so it would be interesting to see what he says
in this volume.

So, did you find any of these people advancing a theory
that you found convincing?

But even Dennett talks about minds, and computational models, or AI,
without stopping to look again at the basis in computation.

Was reading some more Popper in "Conjectures and Refutations".
Popper's idea of "objective knowledge" is very close to what I seem
to be working towards, and yet when he talks about computers, he
suddenly veers back to the traditional view, basically the same as
yours, that computers are-just.

Thank goodness for Searle's tendentious Wordstar example!

(not that it's entirely unique, but it's handy)

Josh

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz