[wisb]

  • From: "John Byrne" <jbyrne5004@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:25:35 -0600

I appreciate the concerns of those who say stay away from rare or endangered
birds for fear of spooking them from a roost or nest site.  That concern
probably applies to more than just the unusual, but carrying it to the extreme
would mean staying home and that is not what birders do.  We seek the rare and
the unusual to add to our life or annual lists.  What other reason is there to
tramp around outside in cold and wet weather.  Yes, I know that surveys such as
the Christmas Count provide valuable data on populations, but all one has to do
is read the posts about completion of the counts to realize that the underlying
motive of most birders is to get the unusual and uncommon species on our lists.
 If a birder finds a long-eared owl, it is not by accident in most cases.  So,
yes avoid disturbing nesting sites, but don't keep a good find to yourself on
the pretense that only you can safely observe that rare or uncommon bird.  Use
your head is a more practical caution than keep it a secret.

    John Byrne

    Milwaukee