[wisb] Re: Question about Smith's Longspurs

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <carol.jaksic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:58:33 -0500

 I've walked that field ever since I saw it became a WPA. It is very
interesting to watch and I'm looking forward to see what it looks like this
fall. And yes I will be walking it to see if I can find LeConte's and
Nelson's Sparrows. They will be there a few days this fall, I'm sure.
 Even though many people have walked this field this week, I can't really
see a change in it. A lot of the base is still just dirt, but the plants
that came in seem strong. It was interesting that with the snow, last
winter,a lot of the grass seeds seem to still be there.
 As far as the longspurs go, it was a interesting learning experience. They
don't act like the Laplands. Even though they did get flushed a number of
times, it wasn't a constant thing. It wasn't as bad as you are thinking or
making it out to be. The field is about 1/4 by 1/3 mile. When they didn't
want to be seen they could really disappear. Now the Savannah Sparrows may
have thought "Oh no, here they come again".
 Now to dogs. I've taken a dog for walks in many fields. The birds don't
mind them near as much as they do people. And oddly enough , when I first
saw these birds (I knew what they were but needed and wanted a good look), I
let the dog walk ahead in hopes it would flush them. The longspurs got up
and flew, but not in a panic. I got great views of a bright male flying
close by.
 There are many ways to bird. Some times I love to be alone and be slow and
try to notice everything. Sometimes it's all out. We chase rare birds, but
the journey with friends is the real plus. Wildlife is different every day,
and I guess so are we.
 Enjoy the spring! Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.