[wisb] Re: Question about Smith's Longspurs

  • From: Carol Jaksic <carol.jaksic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 07:16:36 -0500

I look at these situations as teaching moments. We were on a birding event
in Arizona last April and the leader of a night walk we were on was in the
marsh with a flashlight trying to flush out a bird and some in the group
were extremely upset. I had no clue what was going on because I had never
witnessed that before. I didn't know if that was right or wrong. I had to
form an instant opinion of the situation I was in. I thought at the time,
well that isn't that bad, and after I thought about it, I wouldn't want to
be in that situation again. I just got back from a trip to Texas and it was
explained to us on a trip that migrating birds are looking for three
things; rest, food and water. Personally, I don't think they are looking to
be flushed out, but I can learn how other people bird. I'm not here to
judge how people bird, just observe/witness what they do and I can form an
opinion if that is the way I would want to personally bird. You could
compare this situation to some people using recordings/apps to flush out
birds and some don't. To each their own. I appreciate your explanation and
response.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Steve Thiessen
<stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I've walked that field ever since I saw it became a WPA. It is very
> interesting to watch and I'm looking forward to see what it looks like this
> fall. And yes I will be walking it to see if I can find LeConte's and
> Nelson's Sparrows. They will be there a few days this fall, I'm sure.
> Even though many people have walked this field this week, I can't really
> see a change in it. A lot of the base is still just dirt, but the plants
> that came in seem strong. It was interesting that with the snow, last
> winter,a lot of the grass seeds seem to still be there.
> As far as the longspurs go, it was a interesting learning experience. They
> don't act like the Laplands. Even though they did get flushed a number of
> times, it wasn't a constant thing. It wasn't as bad as you are thinking or
> making it out to be. The field is about 1/4 by 1/3 mile. When they didn't
> want to be seen they could really disappear. Now the Savannah Sparrows may
> have thought "Oh no, here they come again".
> Now to dogs. I've taken a dog for walks in many fields. The birds don't
> mind them near as much as they do people. And oddly enough , when I first
> saw these birds (I knew what they were but needed and wanted a good look),
> I let the dog walk ahead in hopes it would flush them. The longspurs got up
> and flew, but not in a panic. I got great views of a bright male flying
> close by.
> There are many ways to bird. Some times I love to be alone and be slow and
> try to notice everything. Sometimes it's all out. We chase rare birds, but
> the journey with friends is the real plus. Wildlife is different every day,
> and I guess so are we.
> Enjoy the spring! Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Jaksic" <carol.jaksic@xxxxxxxxx>

>>> 608.742.7100 ext. 17 (Office)
>>> 920.948.4763 (Cell)
>>> 608.745.0866 (Fax)