[wisb] Re: Question about Smith's Longspurs

  • From: Mike Wanger <misterwanger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birding on the net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:19:15 -0500

A thought-provoking point, Joan, thanks. My musings:
Imagine if you could be killed at any moment – welcome to a bird’s world.

If your approach or viewing of a bird causes it to flee, you are
“disturbing” it. Robins are used to being constantly disturbed by humans,
and choose to live with us anyway. Snowies in Wisconsin must surely notice
our interest, but the richness of their hunting grounds must outweigh the
inconvenience. A non-breeding bird certainly must have a greater
“disturbance toleration” level than a breeder because the stakes aren’t as
high. Just like humans, I imagine breeding birds want a safe, quiet place
to raise their young. They probably scout hard before choosing, and may
abandon mid-process if things get dicey. The Smith’s are migrating, so I
would think they’ll act in “Snowy” mode – that is, if the disturbance
level
trumps the food/water/resting benefits of a particular spot, they’ll move.

I think drawing a “harassment line” is impossible, but we would all be wise
to be sensitive to birds and their lives. And hopefully your post might
just help in doing so, Joan.

I think I will be sick the day that drones take to the skies.

Mike Wanger

Milwaukee