[wisb] Devil's Lake

  • From: Edward Saur <esaur1010@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 22:11:13 -0500

Hi Folks,
I birded on the south shore of Devil's Lake yesterday kind of on the spur
of the moment. Had business in Lodi, and decided to jump on the ferry and
check out the boardwalk area along the southwest shore. Saw lots of White
Pelicans on Lake WI.

There were swarms of insects along the shore but also swarms of birds
devouring them I first heard my foy Louisiana Waterthrush singing, then saw
and heard bunches of both Kinglets, Pine Warblers, and Chipping
Sparrows-great to compare their song to the Pine's.  On the lake were three
Common Loons, 8-10 Red-breated Mergansers of both sexes, and a lone
Bufflehead.

I walked further on the shore and found many other common spring suspects
and another foy-two Barn Swallows.

Then I drove to the Group Campground area to check out the Great Blue Heron
Rookery-lots of nest building and a couple birds apparently sitting on
eggs. A very fun day.

Some photos:
http://www.natureandlandscapes.com/p40772620/h36cc1136#h36cc1136

http://www.natureandlandscapes.com/p40772620/h33295461#h33295461