[wisb] Bonaparte's Gulls Milw Co.

  • From: steven lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:11:22 -0500

After work I headed down to Bender Park in Oak Creek to see if the Bonaparte’s
Gulls were still around. They were and I estimated 3000 but it was likely way
more than that. I tried to pick out a Little Gull for the next hour and a half
until the light faded with no success. I’d imagine they are still out there.

Then this big falcon-like bird flies past and scares all the Boni’s off the
water. It shot past me so fast that by the time I jumped out of my car and got
my bins on it, it was already near South Metro. Then it dove into a cloud of
swallows along the bluff and off to the north out of sight. Who knows.

I haven’t had this much fun since the Boni’s used to stage in McKinley and
South Shore years ago. Yea, I said fun. Most people think gulls are the rats of
the sea but to me they are amazing. They should’ve been names the Poseidon Gull.

Steven Lubahn
Cudahy
Milw. Co